Friday, February 6, 2009

William Carlos Williams



Related to yesterday's post, another beat-related writer I've been "saving for later" is William Carlos Williams. Allen Ginsberg and Gary Snyder talk about him a lot in their letters to each other (see "What I'm Reading" on sidebar to the right). This week in the paper I read that Williams has been inducted into the New Jersey Hall of Fame. It would be easy to make a snide remark about the dubiousness of that honor, but I will resist. You can read about it at the New Jersey Hall of Fame.

To be equitable to Burroughs, given yesterday's post, below is a Williams quote:

It is almost impossible to state what one in fact believes, because it is almost impossible to hold a belief and to define it at the same time.


I think it's time to read some WCW (as Ginsberg referred to him).

No comments: