Sunday, July 10, 2011

Reading Jack Kerouac

My current reading strategy is to always have a Jack Kerouac book going even if I'm diligently reading something else. For example, over the last couple of months, I read Mexico City Blues cover-to-cover. I read at least two poems each day (or night - mostly it was a pre-sleep endeavor). At the same time, I was diligently reading other books. I finished A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin and am a couple of hundred pages into A Storm of Swords. I also read Beat Atlas, The Long Slow Death of Jack Kerouac, and Kerouac in Florida: Where The Road Ends while reading Mexico City Blues.

Now I have started Book of Sketches. Next? Who knows. I still have quite a pile of Kerouac or beat generation books to read for the first time. Perhaps Go by John Clellon Holmes.

No comments: