Monday, January 9, 2012

9 Books on Reading & Writing

You could do worse, as a Kerouac lover and therefore a reader and perhaps even an aspiring writer, than pick up any of the 9 books recommended by Maria Popova in this Atlantic article: New Year's Resolution Reading List: 9 Books on Reading and Writing.

#1 was used as a required text by my high school English teacher, Brian Stahler (one of the best teachers I ever had, if not the best). #3 is just plain excellent, even if you're not a King fan (which I'm not). #5 is one of those books you'll return to re-read because it contains so much to think about. I own #9 and it's in my "To Read" pile.

As for the rest, they're in such good company that I suspect Popova is right on target.

Way back in 1998, I was presumptuous enough to offer some advice on writing here on The Daily Beat: How to write like Jack Kerouac (the #9 most popular post of all time on this blog based on pageviews).

Happy reading. And writing.

No comments: