Thursday, January 12, 2012

Harshest Ever Book Reviews

I thought Daily Beat readers might enjoy this piece from The Huffington Post. Here are some of the examples.

Susan Cohen on Stieg Larsson’s The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo in the Charleston City Paper: "This is easily one of the worst books I’ve ever read. And bear in mind that I’ve read John Grisham." I included this one because last night I finished one chapter of the book and it is so poorly written that I fear I must stop before my IQ goes down another 10 points. Maybe it's better in Swedish. The new movie was excellent, so I had high hopes.

Mark Twain on Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice: "Every time I read Pride and Prejudice I want to dig her up and hit her over the skull with her own shin bone." I included this one because I love Mark Twain, that old curmudgeon!

Virginia Woolf on James Joyce's Ulysses: "Never have I read such tosh. As for the first two chapters, we will let them pass, but the third, the fourth the fifth the sixth - merely the scratchings of pimples on the body of the boot-boy at Claridges." I included this one because, as Daily Beat readers know, Joyce was a big influence on Jack Kerouac.

Our boy Jack is not on the list, but we all know what Truman Capote said about On The Road.

No comments: