Saturday, April 28, 2012

Jack Kerouac and comfort food

This article - "Kerouac Was a Comfort-Food Freak" - reminded me of the many entries in The Beat Handbook (Days 1, 17, 19, 24, 52, 54, and 57) about "the beat diet," which, of course, I culled from The Dharma Bums and On The Road. I've written about food on a number of occasions here on The Daily Beat as well. For example, the beat diet. Or Slumgullion and Slumgullion.

The beat diet is all about comfort food. Now . . . where did I put that box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese?




3 comments:

Baltimore Colts fan said...

Here in Pennsylvania, Giant Eagle (or Valu Time) brand of Mac & Cheese can be had for as little as 49 cents/box, thus even more comforting.

Rick Dale, author of The Beat Handbook said...

Indeed! And it's just as tasty as Kraft. Probably made in the same factory and put in different packaging!

Baltimore Colts fan said...

I would wholeheartedly agree with you on that one!