Monday, September 2, 2013

New look for The Daily Beat


Dear Readers:

I know you've gotten used to the new dynamic format I switched to a few months ago, but Google/Blogger (if you didn't know, Google took over Blogger years ago) has a bug in their software that is not allowing reader comments to appear in its dynamic view templates. On top of that, a lowly peon like me has no means to communicate directly with Google about such issues. They make it impossible. "Customer service" doesn't exist in Google's world.

So, since I value readers and their feedback, I have switched back to a simple template that does display reader comments.

I am now going to investigate seriously the potential of transferring my blog and all its content to another blog hosting site. Preliminary research makes me think that many if not all other blog hosts cost money whereas Google is free (for the moment). Sigh.

Stay tuned....

2 comments:

Rick Dale, author of The Beat Handbook said...

Just this article makes the whole process seem daunting and not worth the effort: http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-switch-from-blogger-to-wordpress-without-losing-google-rankings/.

David said...

It's weird. I just posted my 300th post on Tumblr and mused at the fact that I used to do Blogger, then Wordpress, and then made the final switch to Tumblr.

Ultimately, I prefer Tumblr, but it's not for everyone, and it's certainly not easy (from what I remember) to export your old stuff to the new place. It will, however, probably draw more viewers due to the fact that it's a hybrid social network-blogging platform.

I'm also redesigning the Beatdom page (http://www.beatdom.com) on Wordpress because Wordpress is in some ways superior, particularly for large volumes of searchable data. It's clunky at the moment but improving.

Anyway, good luck and I'll keep reading.

Oh, and keep in mind that you'll lose the ".blogspot" part of your domain and thus Google's algorithm will disregard some of your current web karma, and you'll have to build up your page ranking again.