Sunday, September 1, 2013

Staying Kerouactive


Faithful Daily Beat readers may notice that I have not been posting much lately. Honestly, it’s pretty damn hard to be first to post anything “newsy” about Jack Kerouac. Between  Facebook (especially the excellent invitation-only Jack Kerouac group moderated by Kerouac scholar Dave Moore), Twitter, and various Kerouac websites, I’m usually a day late and a dollar short when it comes to scooping Kerouac news. Granted, a blog is more than news, and I could certainly find other things to blog about (and have – see my past 1,099 posts). It all comes down to having something to say (see my pretentiously titled November 16, 2008 post by clicking here).

Lately, I just haven’t had much to say about Jack, but I have no excuse. Maybe it’s just a lull because there’s plenty to be said. Certainly, I will have something to post about during and after Lowell Celebrates Kerouac this October. (I hope to see you there.) And I have a couple of interviews in the works. Maybe it’s just a slow time and I need to go with the flow. Plus I’m still mending from my flat tire in the spring, and that may have something to do with my seeming “writer’s block.” I’ve also been discouraged of late as Blogger is randomly refusing to display reader posts in this blog, and getting help from Google about Blogger is damned impossible. I'd love to leave the Blogger format but I don't want to lose all my old posts.

I am, at least, staying Kerouactive. I’m reading Book of Dreams right now (sorry , Jack, but it’s my “special thinking place” read and subsequently is taking  me a long time). I’m reading Facebook posts in the Jack Kerouac group. I’m staying in touch privately with a couple of Kerouac scholars/aficionados. I read the (few) posts on the Beat Studies List. Finally, I Google for Kerouac news on a regular basis.


Anyway, here’s a post. That’s something, I guess.

How are you staying Kerouactive?

No comments: