Monday, February 5, 2018

Happy Birthday to William S. Burroughs (and his recipe for curing junk sickness)



Beat triumvirate* member William S. Burroughs was born this date in 1914. In honor of his birthday, here's a quote from page 23:
At night, I would take two strips of benzedrine and go out to a bar where I sat right by the jukebox. When you're sick, music is a great help. Once, in Texas, I kicked a habit on weed, a pint of paregoric and a few Louis Armstrong records.[1]

Faithful readers of this blog will have no trouble guessing in which Burroughs book the above appears. Others can scroll way down to find out.

Happy Birthday, Bill. You would have been 104 years of age today. Time flies....




* If you buy into the Burroughs, Ginsberg, Kerouac triumvirancy.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
[1]  Burroughs, W. S. (2003). Junky: 50th Anniversary Definitive Edition. New York: Penguin Books. [NOTE: I include this citation to ensure that I am complying with the fair use copyright doctrine and therefore keeping Penguin off my back for the quotation.]

No comments: