Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Curation #57 from my Kerouac bookshelf: On The Road by Jack Kerouac



Item #57 in my Kerouac bookshelf curation project is this paperback 2003 Penguin Books 3rd printing of Jack Kerouac's On The Road. It's in poor condition with cover damage and liquid-wrinkled pages. Provenance is unknown. This is one of my spare copies of On The Road for purposes of giving away when the occasion strikes.

We've taken up this version of On The Road in this curation project 2 different times: March 31 and April 3, 2018. Consequently, there's not much left to say about the book that I haven't already said (or that hasn't already been said elsewhere). This is proof positive that my Kerouac bookshelf is disorganized, given that this copy of On The Road sits removed from the others.

Here's one On The Road resource I haven't mentioned (to my memory): a collection of different On The Road book covers (see Jack Kerouac Book Covers). It includes US and foreign editions. Perhaps you didn't know there were so many. By the way, this photoset includes the cover Jack drew himself (scroll to the bottom).

As a reminder, my own book, The Beat Handbook: 100 Days of Kerouactions, answers the question -- What would Kerouac do? - with entries related to passages from On The Road (and The Dharma Bums). In effect, it's a companion reader to those two novels.

If you want your own copy -- or an additional copy -- of On The Road, there is a link to Amazon over there on the right hand side of this blog. Remember, a great way to evangelize to others about Jack Kerouac is to let his own words speak for themselves. What better way to do that than giving someone a copy of one of his books?



Below is a picture of Shelf #2 of my Kerouac bookshelf showing the placement of this book (7th item from the left) on the day I started curating my collection. Next up: another copy of Book of Dreams by Jack Kerouac.

Shelf #2 of my Kerouac bookshelf

No comments: