Saturday, July 21, 2018

Curation #89 from my Kerouac bookshelf: Gerard: The Influence of Jack Kerouac's Brother on His Life and Writing by Donald Motier



Item #89 in my Kerouac bookshelf curation project is this paperback 2010 PublishAmerica edition (no printing number) of Donald Motier's Gerard: The Influence of Jack Kerouac's Brother on His Life and Writing. 65 pages, this book measures about 5-7/8" x 8-7/8" and is in good condition. It would likely be in better condition except that I loaned it to a student in my Kerouac class at the University of Maine at Farmington who was doing a paper on Gerard and he dragged it around with him for quite some time. There's a dangling participle in that last sentence and I'll be damned if I'm going to fix it. The provenance of this copy is likely that I purchased it via Amazon. You're welcome, Mr. Bezos.

This book was first published in 1991 by Beaulieu Street Press. I reviewed the Hell out of it back in March 2016; you can read that by clicking here. I don't really have anything to add to that other than I've never met Mr. Motier but I consider him a kindred spirit, both of us having written and published a book in the Kerouac genre. Mine is available by clicking the link over on the right. Mr. Motier's is available below. We self-published authors have to stick together!

As we've opined before, to understand Jack Kerouac one must understand the influence of his older brother, Gerard. This book plays a role in understanding that dynamic.






Below is a picture of Shelf #3 of my Kerouac bookshelf showing the placement of this book (9th from the left) on the day I started curating my collection. Next up: Jack Kerouac: King of the Beats by Barry Miles.

Shelf #3 of my Kerouac bookshelf

No comments: