Sunday, August 26, 2018

Curation #124 from my Kerouac bookshelf: The Awakener: A Memoir of Kerouac and the Fifties by Helen Weaver



Item #124 in my Kerouac bookshelf curation project is this paperback 2009 City Lights Books 1st printing of Helen Weaver's The Awakener: A Memoir of Kerouac and the Fifties. 260 pages, it measures about 5-1/2" x 8-3/8" and is in very good condition. The book's provenance -- which you can read about here along with my review -- is that it was sent to me by the publisher as a review copy.

To see my review of this book from November 11, 2009, click the link in the last sentence. To read an interview I conducted with author Helen Weaver, click here. Helen Weaver, an accomplished author and translator, knew Kerouac -- intimately -- and this memoir is a must-read for Kerouac and Beat Generation fans.

As I said in my review:
I am absolutely convinced that anyone with an interest in the beat generation or even the 50s and 60s in general will fall in love with The Awakener, and with Helen Weaver.

This book definitely deserves a spot on your Kerouac bookshelf.


To order The Awakener directly from the publisher, click here.



Below is a picture of Shelf #4 of my Kerouac bookshelf showing the placement of this book (18th from the left) on the day I started curating my collection. Next up: You'll Be Okay: My Life with Jack Kerouac by Edie Kerouac-Parker.

Shelf #4 of my Kerouac bookshelf

No comments: