Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Lowell Celebrates Kerouac Festival this October!



Each year in October, the Lowell Celebrates Kerouac Festival takes place in Jack's hometown of Lowell, Massachusetts. I have attended 8 times since 2008 and it is always well worth the time and expense. For information about the festival, you can visit their website here. This year's dates are October 4-8. The best place to stay is the UMass Lowell Inn and Conference Center (if you can get a room). Many of the events are walkable from there. Lowell is an eminently walkable city and we have always felt safe there.

I always write a report from our adventures in Lowell. You can read 2016's here (plus access links to all my past reports). I hope you will take the opportunity to read about this wonderful event.

We will be traveling out west and will miss this year's LCK Festival (we missed last year because we had just returned home from traveling in Europe for a month and just didn't have the gumption). That means someone in attendance will have to write a guest blog report on this year's festival. Contact me if you are interested in being that someone.

As Jack said in On The Road, "Everybody goes home in October."


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Rick!

We've never met, but I've been reading over your blog for about a year now. 2017's LCK was my first, and I absolutely fell in love. Over the course of the festival I actually made a documentary for my senior thesis film, about the trip and about Kerouac and his creative influence. And while I had a great time, I didn't get to experience LCK as a normal attendee, as I was filming and directing the doc. If no one has offered yet, I would absolutely love the opportunity to write a guest blog report for LCK 2018.

Enjoy "sunny Californy!"

- Julian

Rick Dale, author of The Beat Handbook said...

Julian, I'd be glad to publish your guest blog report from LCK 2018. Just e-mail it to thebeathandbook@gmail.com and I'll take it from there.