Thursday, October 25, 2018

Curation #161 from my Kerouac bookshelf: Beat Scene Number 60 A Jack Kerouac Special Issue




Item #161 in my Kerouac bookshelf curation project is this issue of Beat Scene magazine. It is Number 60, published Autumn 2009, and focuses on Jack Kerouac. 62 pages, it measures about 8" x 11.5" and is in very good condition. The provenance is that I ordered it on-line.

Beat Scene is a quarterly published by Kevin Ring out of England. It focuses on the Beat Generation and was started in 1988. You can read more about it here.

This particular issue features letters to Kerouac from John Clellon Holmes and Gary Snyder, interviews with Helen Weaver and Barry Gifford, an excerpt from David Amram's Offbeat, and a variety of other essays/short pieces. Despite the color covers, the inside is all black-and-white, even the numerous photos. Below is the back cover.




It makes sense to have this issue of Beat Scene on your Kerouac bookshelf. I'm not sure how to get your hands on a copy other than contacting the publisher via the link above.



Below is a picture of Shelf #5 (last one!) of my Kerouac bookshelf showing the placement of this item (15th from the top of the pile) on the day I started curating my collection. Next up: Beat Generation Playguide.

Shelf #5 of my Kerouac bookshelf

No comments: