Friday, October 26, 2018

Curation #162 from my Kerouac bookshelf: Beat Generation Playguide



Item #162 in my Kerouac bookshelf curation project is this playguide for Jack Kerouac's Beat Generation presented by the Merrimack Repertory Theater and UMass Lowell in fall 2012. 14 pages, it measures about 8-1/2" x 11" and is in very good condition.

Jack Kerouac wrote his 3-act play, Beat Generation, in 1957 but it sat undiscovered in a New Jersey warehouse for 47 years. It was found and published by Thunder Mouth Press in 2005. In October 2012, coinciding with the annual Kerouac festival in his hometown of Lowell, MA, the play saw its world premiere in Lowell and I was there (with Crystal). This item is the playguide given to attendees. It includes a synopsis of the play, background on Kerouac and on the Beat Generation, cast of characters, history of the play, a Beat glossary, and references. Very helpful.

To read my report from Lowell that year, including my reaction to the play, click here. Act 3 of this play was the basis of a film by Robert Frank and Alfred Leslie in 1959 titled, Pull My Daisy; it's available online here.

This probably isn't an item you can buy anywhere (maybe eBay), and mine is not for sale (unless you have deep pockets), but it definitely fits nicely on a Jack Kerouac bookshelf.


Below is a picture of Shelf #5 (last one!) of my Kerouac bookshelf showing the placement of this item (16th from the top of the pile) on the day I started curating my collection. Next up: FBI responses to my FOIPA requests for files on Jack Kerouac.

Shelf #5 of my Kerouac bookshelf

No comments: