Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Curation #166 from my Kerouac bookshelf: January 1965 Playboy featuring Jack Kerouac's short story, "Good Blonde"



Item #166 in my Kerouac bookshelf curation project is this January 1965 issue of Playboy featuring Jack Kerouac's essay, "Good Blonde." It's in very good condition and the provenance is that I bought it online (eBay, I think).

Of course, you can read Jack's famous short story in Good Blonde & Others, which I curated here. It's probably available full text online somewhere, but my quick searching didn't uncover it. Send us a link if you have one.

Below is a (poor) scan of the first page of the short story.



In case you're wondering about the other interesting aspects of this issue, the Playmate of the Month is Sally Duberson. As we suspected in yesterday's post, bare breasts made an appearance in this issue, but where Sally is concerned only the pin-up meets that criterion. This issue features a review of the previous year's Playmates and bare breasts abound; unfortunately, I can't share any of that because the Blogger platform doesn't allow nudity and I don't feel like getting banned.

Since we only peruse Playboy for the articles and interviews anyway, it is of note that this issue's interview is with Martin Luther King, Jr. If you want to read it, the whole issue is available in Playboy's archive here.

This definitely belongs on your Kerouac bookshelf.




Below is a picture of Shelf #5 (last one!) of my Kerouac bookshelf showing the placement of this item (20th from the top of the pile) on the day I started curating my collection. Next up: Playboy from July/August 2012 featuring an article titled, "The Lost Photos of Jack Kerouac."

Shelf #5 of my Kerouac bookshelf

No comments: