Thursday, November 1, 2018

Curation #168 from my Kerouac bookshelf: Beat Generation: Glory Days in Greenwich Village by Fred W. and Gloria S. McDarrah



Item #168 in my Kerouac bookshelf curation project is this 1996 Schirmer Books 1st printing of Beat Generation: Glory Days in Greenwich Village by Fred W. and Gloria S. McDarrah. 286 pages, it measures about 8.5" x 11" and is in very good condition. The provenance is that it was a Christmas gift from my son and daughter-in-law (via Amazon's handy gift list feature). Stamped on the top edge is "Columbus Metropolitan Library," so we know where it resided at one time.

I don't know what to say about this book. It is simply fabulous. In hundreds of vivid black-and-white pictures -- and text -- the McDarrahs* take us back to the Beat scene in the Village circa 1959. The McDarrahs were there, man, and they capture it like no others have or will. From the classic cover photo of Kerouac reading at the famous Artist's Studio to Ginsberg reading at the Living Theater to a cameo of Gary Snyder in NYC, it's all here, including a lengthy list of biographical sketches (a Who's Who of the Village Beat heyday).

If you haven't seen this book, order it right away, digest it, and then put it on your Kerouac bookshelf where it belongs.


*Google the McDarrahs if you aren't already familiar with them. Hint: Fred was a staff photographer for the Village Voice for years and he took some of the classic photos of Jack with which you are familiar.








Below is a picture of Shelf #5 (last one!) of my Kerouac bookshelf showing the placement of this item (22nd from the top of the pile) on the day I started curating my collection. Next up: Last Man Standing...Al Hinkle: An Interview with Stephen D. Edington.

Shelf #5 of my Kerouac bookshelf

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely love this book, it takes me right back to a time that I never experienced more than any other. I particularly love the aerial shot of McDougal and Bleeker highlighting the San Remo. Mcdougal and Bleeker highlighting the San Remo. RM