Thursday, February 22, 2018

The Stray Bullet: William S. Burroughs in Mexico by Jorge Garcia-Robles



Yesterday I finished The Stray Bullet: William S. Burroughs in Mexico by Jorge Garcia-Robles. As faithful readers of The Daily Beat know from a previous post, I had borrowed it from Richard. It's a quick read (156 pages).

There weren't a lot of surprises here if you've read a lot of Beat history. The translation was a bit terse and at times repetitive. Overall, though, I enjoyed it, picking up a few new tidbits here and there. It includes a few pictures, two of which are gruesome shots of Joan Vollmer's dead body!

If you are seeking to read about Kerouac, Garcia-Robles does include mentions of Jack's visits to Mexico, but these sections are not too in-depth. The focus is, obviously, Burroughs. For an in-depth treatment of Jack's time in Mexico, I'll be reading Garcia-Robles' other book I borrowed from Richard, At the End of the Road: Jack Kerouac in Mexico. Stay tuned for my thoughts on that (it will be a little while until I get to it because Crystal has me reading The Glass Castle).




No comments: