Saturday, June 30, 2018

Curation #74 from my Kerouac bookshelf: Beat Atlas: A State by State Guide to the BEAT GENERATION in America by Bill Morgan



Item #74 in my Kerouac bookshelf curation project is this paperback 2011 City Light Books (no printing number) edition of Bill Morgan's Beat Atlas: A State by State Guide to the BEAT GENERATION in America. 262 pages, it's about 4-3/8" x 8-3/8" and in very good condition. The provenance is likely that I bought it via Amazon (which you can do below).

Pretty much everything I said yesterday about Morgan's book, The Beat Generation in New York: A Walking Tour of Jack Kerouac's City, can be said about this book. It has well-researched information on relevant Beat places, only in this case it encompasses all of America. It obviously cannot go into detail about places like New York City and San Francisco -- that is why Morgan has stand-alone guides for those. There are pictures and a handy index and a preface by Morgan.

As with all of his guides, this one is indispensable and stands up as a straight-ahead read as well as a travel guide. If you live and travel in America, it's a good book to always have with you when you travel as there are entries for all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Highly recommended.








Below is a picture of Shelf #2 of my Kerouac bookshelf showing the placement of this book (24th item from the left) on the day I started curating my collection. Next up: The Beat Generation in San Francisco: A Literary Tour by Bill Morgan.

Shelf #2 of my Kerouac bookshelf

No comments: