Thursday, December 21, 2023

The Iron Claw

 

The Von Erichs in real life: Kerry, Fritz, Kevin, Chris (front), Mike, and David (L-R).
 

In days past I have written about pro wrestling on this blog. There is a Kerouac connection. To wit, click HERE.

Today I wanted to point out -- to all you pro wrestling fans out there -- that tomorrow The Iron Claw hits theaters. (UPDATE: It['s on our local theater today!) It is the story of the famous wrestling family, the Von Erichs, who were very, very famous and popular in the 70s and 80s out of the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Kerry went on to solo fame in the WWE.  The father, Fritz, had been a wrestler and promoter and found his stride with his sons entering the business. Only Kevin remains alive as I type this.

The family is said to have been cursed, as five of six brothers died young. The firstborn son, Jack Jr., was electrocuted at the age of six in 1959 in a household accident. In 1984, David Von Erich (25 years old) died in Japan from an unconfirmed cause, although it is widely believed he died from a drug overdose (Kevin says it was a heart attack). Mike (23 years old), Chris (21 years old), and Kerry (33 years old) committed suicide in 1987, 1991, and 1993 respectively.

That's some bad juju going on in one family. I'm glad they made a movie about the Von Erichs and I hope it's good. It's by a known director and studio (Sean Durkin and A24), and stars well-known actors Zac Efron and Jeremy Allen White (Lip from Shameless plays Kerry -- I can't really see it because Kerry had a bodybuilder's physique), so it holds promise. Given my lifelong love of pro wrestling, if it's playing nearby I may sneak out and see it tomorrow. (UPDATE: I'm going today at 4 PM. Got ticket through Fandango,)


No comments: