Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Gerald Nicosia's new(ish) book

Gerald Nicosia had a new book published in November, One and Only: The Untold Story of On The Road & Lu Anne Henderson, the Woman Who Started Jack Kerouac and Neal Cassady on Their Journey. It's published by Viva Editions, and I learned about this review (of sorts) in The Cutting Edge from Al Hinkle's Facebook page. You know Lu Anne as Mary Lou in On The Road.

Nicosia is author of Memory Babe: A Critical Biography of Jack Kerouac, one of several Kerouac biographies worth reading. I say that with trepidation as there has been an on-going conflict between Nicosia and the Kerouac estate. He was at the last Lowell Celebrates Kerouac event and, honestly, it appeared that he was about as welcome as a skunk at a garden party. I don't know all the details, but some are discussed here

Regardless, here's yet another book in the on-going and everlasting saga of our hero, Jack Kerouac. I'm not endorsing it - just letting you know it's out there. If Viva Editions (or Nicosia) wants to send me a review copy, I'll definitely read it and post a review here on The Daily Beat!

1 comment:

Viva Editions said...

Hi RIck, I would be very happy to send you a review copy. Glad you found out, in any case! Please email me at bknight@cleispress.com and I'll rush out a copy.

Thanks -bk