Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Report from Lowell Celebrates Kerouac!: Marathon reading of The Dharma Bums

At the Cafe Paradiso on Sunday, starting at 10 AM, Kerouac lovers participated in an oral reading of The Dharma Bums, start to finish. We were there early for breakfast, given that our hotel, The Doubletree, had no electricity and showering was too dangerous in the dark bathroom, not to mention that my car battery was dead when we went out to load up - a result of leaving the interior lights on all night and resulting in a call to AAA and me running back from the Cafe to meet the guy for a jump start. No harm done as I was there for the beginning reader, Ray (from Maine!).


I read Chapter 2.


Crystal read Chapter 3.

I can't remember the name of the young man who read Chapter 4, nor do I have a picture.


Dennis read Chapter 5 (my favorite - about yabyum).


And Jim read Chapter 6 (a lonnnggggg chapter).











At that point we sadly headed back to Maine, to responsibilities and such.

No comments: