Monday, May 1, 2017

My Last Lecture at UMF

A few years ago, the University of Maine at Farmington -- from which I am retiring in 30 days -- started a tradition of having one of its retiring professors give a "last lecture." The practice was inspired by Randy Pausch and you can read about that here: http://www.cmu.edu/randyslecture/book/.

Since I mention Jack Kerouac in my lecture, and since a number of people have asked for access to at least the script I was using (it wasn't video- or audio-taped), I thought I'd bake two pies with one oven and post it here. Keep in mind that this is just the script from which I spoke and it is not intended to be polished writing. Plus, in the live version I omitted some parts and added others extemporaneously. Suffice to say it was probably better to hear it in person than to read my script. At least I hope so . . . .
Nevertheless, and without further ado, here is a link to the script I used to deliver my "last lecture" at UMF on April 26:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jFnV2xs4eIrpvu1sERHHUGPNGg3XRAiLBryUAf9XqIU/edit?usp=sharing.







No comments: