Monday, March 25, 2019

25th sentence of the 25th book



The 25th book* on my Kerouac bookshelf is Aram Saroyan's Genesis Angels: The Saga of Lew Welch and the Beat Generation (William Morrow, 1979), and the 25th sentence (in honor of today being the 25th day of the month) is:
Well, wonderful.

If you're a fan of Kerouac or the Beat Generation, this book is a worthwhile addition to your reading list. Indeed, I liked it a lot for both its content and style.

As far as Kerouac connections go, Aram -- a noted author and poet in his own right -- is the son of the late writer William Saroyan, a literary influence on Jack (e.g., Saroyan is mentioned by name in On The Road). Aram was part of a now-famous interview of Kerouac for The Paris Review (Issue 43 Summer 1968). You can read that interview in Paul Maher Jr.'s Empty Phantoms.


*I didn't curate this book during our recent curation project because I acquired it after that project began. I wrote about that here.

No comments: