Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Jack Kerouac photo mystery

(L-R) Allen Ginsberg, Jack Kerouac, unknown man, Neal Cassady


Someone posted the above picture on the Jack Kerouac Facebook group (which you should join!), and no one can positively identify the man standing to the right of Jack. Guesses on the post include Bill Cannastra, Justin Brierly, Robert Creeley, Lucien Carr, Robert Lavigne, Bob Burford, Bill Tomson, John Hollander, Bob Malkin, and others. There was even an argument that this might not be Jack in the picture, but most agree that it is. Anyway, the commenters on this thread include at least several Kerouac scholars and the back-and-forth, while it doesn't come to a conclusion (yet), is fascinating. There is some evidence that this may be NYC in 1950.

If you have a reasoned guess as to who the fourth man in the picture is, please let us know in a comment.


6 comments:

SteveP said...

Maybe Allan Temko? He was part of that whole Denver scene. Very few pics of Jack wearing a tie in NYC. I bet this was snapped during Ginsbergs Denver Doldrums period.

Rick Dale, author of The Beat Handbook said...

The mystery man had a widow's peak and I don't think Temko had one based on the picture on Dave Moore's Character Key to the Duluoz Legend (http://www.beatbookcovers.com/kercomp/). Good guess, though!

Jonathan Collins said...

That SOMEONE is me. I found the photo and I own it. The photo is by Wilbur Pippin, NYC, 1950

Rick Dale, author of The Beat Handbook said...

Jonathan, I'm confused. Didn't you post the same picture in the Jack Kerouac Facebook group on April 17, 2019, saying the photographer was unknown and asking the identity of the mystery man?

Anonymous said...

Rick?

Rick Dale, author of The Beat Handbook said...

If you're following along, I apologize for my misinformation re: the poster of the picture vs. the mystery man. I'll blame it on my Parkinson's.