Friday, October 12, 2018

Curation #153 from my Kerouac bookshelf: Caribouddhism by Gary Lawless



Item #153 in my Kerouac bookshelf curation project is this softcover 1998 Blackberry Books (no printing number) edition of Caribouddhism by Gary Lawless. 88 pages, it measures about 6" x 9" and is in very good condition. The provenance is that I got it directly from the author.

In our last post we curated a newer book of poetry by Gary Lawless and described the Kerouac connection. This book of poetry includes an interview with Jamie Sayen and begins with this preface:
In early June of 1995 Beth Leonard, Nanao Sakaki and I traveled to Newfoundland to see icebergs, caribou and moose. As we traveled we talked of how every place has its own messages, visions, teachers, practices. I suggested that we become caribouddhists, wandering with the great herds, listening to their stories, tasting the ice, and joining their quest for enlichenment. This book is for Beth and Nanao, fellow travelers.

As we said last time, Gary apprenticed with Gary Snyder and his poetry shows it. This is good stuff and worthy of a place on your Kerouac bookshelf.





Below is a picture of Shelf #5 (last one!) of my Kerouac bookshelf showing the placement of this book (7th from the top of the pile) on the day I started curating my collection. Next up: Night Train to Shanghai and Other Memories of China by Gerald Nicosia.

Shelf #5 of my Kerouac bookshelf

No comments: