Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Curation #78 from my Kerouac bookshelf: John Montgomery's JACK KEROUAC: A Memoir In Which Is Revealed Secret Lives & West Coast Whispers, Being The Confessions Of Henry Morley, Alex Fairbrother & JOHN MONTGOMERY, Triune Madman Of The Dharma Bums, Desolation Angels & Other Trips


Item #78 in my Kerouac bookshelf curation project is this paperback 1970 Gilagia Press (no printing number) edition of John Montgomery's JACK KEROUAC: A Memoir In Which Is Revealed Secret Lives & West Coast Whispers, Being The Confessions Of Henry Morley, Alex Fairbrother & JOHN MONTGOMERY, Triune Madman Of The Dharma Bums, Desolation Angels & Other Trips. It's really a chapbook, with 2,000 copies printed (200 clothbound), amounting to 16 pages. It measures about 6" x 8'3/4" and is in good condition.

This book has a specific provenance. It was given to me by Dr. Celeste Branham, a colleague from University of Maine at Farmington (from which I am now retired). She had held on to it from her college days and when she learned I was a Kerouac fanatic, she gave it to me.

Jack Kerouac: A Memoir... is simply two chapters ("Takes") about Jack by his friend, John Montgomery. We provide information about Montgomery in yesterday's post. Click here for some thoughts, including excerpts, about this book that I posted in September 2016.

That's it until next time. It's July 4 and I have things to do. Happy Fourth of July. Try to appreciate both red and blue in the fireworks tonight.







Below is a picture of Shelf #2 of my Kerouac bookshelf showing the placement of this book (28th item from the left) on the day I started curating my collection. Next up: Kerouac & Friends: A Beat Generation Album by Fred W. McDarrah.

Shelf #2 of my Kerouac bookshelf



No comments: