Monday, July 16, 2018

Curation #86 from my Kerouac bookshelf: A second copy of Ann Charters' Jack Kerouac: A Biography




Item #86 in my Kerouac bookshelf curation project is this paperback Warner Paperback Library edition of Ann Charter's Kerouac: A Biography. The only copyright date shown is 1974 and there is no printing number. 416 pages and measuring about  4" x 7", this copy is in rough shape: the pages are yellowed and, as evidenced by the above photo, the binding is broken completely, separating the book into two pieces around page 193. The provenance is that I bought it from a used bookstore in Portland, Maine. I already had the copy curated yesterday, but I liked the cover (illustration by Jim Sharpe, design by Gene Light).

Since I curated this book yesterday, there is no need to opine more about Charters' seminal Kerouac biography. It's the same book minus the updated preface from Charters in the newer edition. I got to see Ann Charters for the first (and only, so far) time in NYC in 2016 when Richard and I attended the Beat and Beyond event at the Howl! Happening arts center. Click here to read the stupid thing I said to Ann when I met her.








Below is a picture of Shelf #3 of my Kerouac bookshelf showing the placement of this book (5th from the left) on the day I started curating my collection. Next up: The Portable Jack Kerouac edited by Ann Charters.

Shelf #3 of my Kerouac bookshelf

No comments: