Friday, March 20, 2009

March 20: On New Words

Today's Kerouaction

Jack liked to invent new words. There's a word for a new word: neologism. Kerouaction is a neologism I created. It refers to the answer to the question, "What would Kerouac do?" The answer is a Kerouaction.

Where do new words come from? Sometimes we invent them, like Jack. Other times we learn new words. Either way, words are a writer's most important tool, so where they come from is not as important as wielding them.

I recently learned that babblative means pointlessly or annoyingly talkative. Having recently met someone who epitomizes that characteristic, it was nice to have a precise adjective to deploy when describing her.

I have favorite words. For some reason I particularly like brigand and blackguard.

Of course there are websites that are devoted to Interesting Words.

Your Kerouaction for today is to invent a new word or learn a new word and use it in conversation at least once. If you invent a new word, please let us know here at The Daily Beat. Perhaps we'll adopt its usage.

Right now I must absquatulate.

3 comments:

Michael Gunin said...

Great idea! I like a wordplay as well. My two cents for today is betaalphical, contrary to alphabetical. Very Kerouactive, I guess!

Comrade M said...

Lascivious is my new favorite word...somewhat difficult to work into daily conversation...but I've decided it will be my new response to "How're you today"...Awkward? Perhaps. Inappropriate? Most likely. Amazing? Absolutely :)

Rick Dale, author of The Beat Handbook said...

I love the word and the idea! I once created a whole list of responses to "How are you today?" with the intention of using a different one each day. I always forget to do it! But now I may revisit that. Thanks!