Thursday, March 5, 2009

March 5: On Reading Out Loud

Today's Kerouaction

Readers of The Beat Handbook* know its premise was that to answer the question "What would Kerouac do?" (which I dubbed a "Kerouaction"), one only needs to look to the actions of the characters in his autobiographical novels. However, The Beat Handbook focused on only The Dharma Bums and On The Road. There are many more Kerouactions looming in his other novels.

For example, I'm reading The Subterraneans. I thought I'd open to a random page and see what Kerouaction I'd find. I found this:

The time we read Faulkner together, I read her Spotted Horses, out loud....

In honor of Jack Kerouac month, read something out loud today, preferably some William Faulkner, preferably from Spotted Horses (which I have not read, although I was a huge Faulkner fan in high school and still remember the short story "Barn Burning" - good luck finding it online - thanks to my excellent English teacher, Brian Stahler), and preferably to your sweetheart.

Reading out loud is a beat thing to do!


*What? You don't own it yet? What's the hold-up?

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Cool! I'll be looking forward to my reading tonight, Sweetie!

Rick Dale, author of The Beat Handbook said...

What's your pleasure, babe?