Friday, September 7, 2018

Curation #134 from my Kerouac bookshelf: Apocryphal Road Code by Jared Randall



Item #134 in my Kerouac bookshelf curation project is this softcover 2010 Salt Publishing first printing of Apocryphal Road Code by Jared Randall. 99 pages, it measures about 5-1/2" x 8-1/2" and is in very good condition. The provenance is that I got this copy directly from the author, who inscribed the title page thus:
To Rick D,
You have your
finger on the
beat pulse . . .
Go, go, go . . . ! 
Jared Randall

I reviewed this hobo-centric poetry book here, and that review tells you everything you need to know in order to want to get your own copy of this excellent book of poetry. It begins with a reproduction of the Hobo Code, and we'd be a lot better off as a country if we lived by these 16 tenets. In particular, Jack needed to adhere to #6. The Hobo Code is available here.

Jack had an affinity for the American hobo (a chapter in Lonesome Traveler is titled "The Vanishing American Hobo" and I've written about this here), so any hobo-themed book deserves a spot on your Kerouac bookshelf.







Below is a picture of Shelf #4 of my Kerouac bookshelf showing the placement of this book (last book on the right) on the day I started curating my collection. Next up: Kaddish and Other Poems 1958-1960 by Allen Ginsberg (the beginning of the 5th and final shelf).

Shelf #4 of my Kerouac bookshelf

No comments: