Tuesday, November 6, 2018

For once, don't follow my book's advice

Click here to find the answer to "What would Kerouac do?"

The thesis of my book (above) is simple: To be a Beat, answer the question, "What would Kerouac do?" Then do that.

Just for today, I disavow that advice because -- as far as I can ascertain -- Jack didn't routinely vote. If and when he did, he likely voted Republican (e.g., see this NBC news transcript). Especially later in life, Jack espoused conservative views. But that is another blog post.

Now, it is not my place here to tell you how you should vote, but I am going to encourage you to do so (if you haven't done so already). The direction of the country is at stake, so if you like the way things have been going, or you don't, make your voice heard -- VOTE!

As for me, this time around I am voting to send a message that governing by negativity, hate, fear, lying, bullying, misogyny, homophobia, xenophobia, bigotry, racism, greed, chaos, conflict, division, and by being anti-poor, anti-old, anti-sick, anti-disability, anti-LGBTQ, anti-immigrant, anti-healthcare, anti-Medicare, anti-Medicaid, and anti-Social Security is not okay with me. Not. Okay. With. Me. And while I've voted for Republicans in the past, the current situation in this country is such that I will not vote for a Republican for any elected office. As Crystal says, not even for dogcatcher ("Animal Control Officer" for PC folks).

If my being honest about my voting preferences turns you off from reading my blog in the future, while that makes me sad, it says more about you than it does me.

Support democracy and VOTE!

No comments: