Monday, December 31, 2018
2019 New Year's Kerouac-olutions, anyone?
Last year in this space I decided to lower the bar and declare no New Year's Kerouac-olutions. That was in stark contrast to years past, when I had lists of 10. Click here to read last year's piece (as well as access a link to all past Kerouac-olutions).
But just what is a New Year's Kerouac-olution? It's just a New Year's Resolution dressed up in Kerouacian language. It doesn't have to be about Kerouac or even be related to Kerouac (although everything connects to Kerouac, as I have repeatedly claimed).
So what about 2019? Are there Kerouac-olutions afoot?
The answer is yes. I am in a different head space from last year. To wit, below are my 2019 New Year's Kerouac-olutions.
In 2019, I resolve to:
1. Drink a bottle of 21-year-old Bushmills single malt Irish whiskey (with help from Crystal)
2. Finish reading the book Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari (already started - very good book!)
3. Use the treadmill at least twice a week, preferable three times (30 minutes per)
4. Lose a little bit of weight (10 pounds would be a good start)
5. Successfully complete training with Crisis Text Line (already started) and start volunteering with them 4 hours/week
6. Read Kerouac (no particular titles or amount)
7. Work back up to being able to do 30 push-ups in a row (what a weakling I've become)
8. Identify and purchase the best healthcare I can afford
9. Buy Crystal flowers at least 6 times (monthly was a fail in 2017)
10. Acquire a camper in time to attend some bluegrass festivals this coming summer
What are your Kerouac-olutions for 2019?
Happy New Year's Eve, everybody!