Thursday, August 11, 2011

Kerouac Day 17: On Breakfast

As Day 17 in The Beat Handbook points out (in reference to the below passage from The Dharma Bums), Jack routinely detailed what his characters ate, and from this we can acertain the "beat diet," which I blogged about on April 2, 2009. Excuse me for not uploading a photo from the actual book, but Facebook is down right now and that is how I get photos from my camera to the 'Net.

Tomorrow morning I'll make you another nice breakfast, slumgullion, d'yever eat good oldfashioned slumgullion boy, 'taint nothin but scrambled eggs and potatoes all scrambled up together.

In this instance, Jack makes "slumgullion" for breakfast. I've tried it, and it's a tasty way to start your day!

Stay tuned for other entries about the "beat diet."

Tomorrow: On Appearances.

By the way, there are only five entries left from The Dharma Bums, and then we'll start working our way through On The Road.

No comments: